Blogger Background

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Change that Thought

(5/7/14)

I have been struggling with a couple of recurring, negative mental whispers. The one that bugs me the most is something I started to hear myself saying aloud and saying often. It is silly, perhaps, but even in typing this entry I hesitate to write it down. I don't want to give "the negative" any more power.

Serendipitously, I received an email from the yoga studio I call "home"; the topic for the month is noticing self talk. Specifically, the challenge is to "Change that Thought". I had to laugh out loud when I read the email; I felt as though I had just been called out by the universe and given the help I need to focus on making a shift.

So, here I am. A few days in to the month of May. Playing the game of paying attention to the unspoken words that color my thinking, spur me to action, or degrade me to inaction. The biggest help, so far, was in identifying the grain of truth in the negative, then making changes to undermine this very grain. It is working. The whisper is hardly there...and when I catch it, I know how to hear without listening.

Not everything happens for a reason, but this time maybe it did.

No comments: